Gary Oldman revealed himself as a filmmaker of uncompromising talent with Nil by Mouth, his debut and so far only directorial feature. Set on a council estate in New Cross, south east London (the area where Oldman himself grew up), a dysfunctional family encounters domestic violence, drunkenness, drug addiction and petty crime. Featuring career-best performances from Kathy Burke (winner of Best Actress at Cannes), Ray Winstone and Charlie Creed-Miles, all superbly supported by Laila Morse and Jamie Foreman, Nil by Mouth was awarded Best British Film and Best Original Screenplay at the 1998 Bafta awards.
This intensely powerful and emotional landmark of British cinema has been remastered in 4K for its 25th anniversary by the BFI National Archive, and this release is the first time on Blu-ray anywhere in the world.
- Newly remastered in 4K by the BFI National Archive
- Newly recorded audio commentary by writer and director Gary Oldman and producer Douglas Urbanski
- Interview with Gary Oldman (2022): the acclaimed actor in conversation with film Geoff Andrew
- Interview with Ray Winstone (2022): the actor discusses his role in the film with Geoff Andrew
- Interview with Douglas Urbanski (2022): Gary Oldman’s long-time friend and collaborator, and the producer of Nil by Mouth discusses how the film came to be made
- Fearing the Worst: Charlie Creed-Miles on Nil by Mouth (2022, 28 mins): the actor recalls the making of Nil by Mouth
- People Were Queuing For Any Role: Sue Jones on Nil by Mouth (2022, 16 mins): the film’s casting director recalls her work on the film
- I Missed The War (Gary Oldman, 1994): the only surviving footage recorded for an unrealised documentary about his mother’s life and experiences
- Deleted scenes (1997, 28 mins): a series of deleted scenes selected by Gary Oldman
- Galleries - a selection of rare production materials from Gary Oldman’s personal archive
- 2022 trailer
- 80-page book featuring new writing by Douglas Urbanski, Kat Ellinger, Philip Kemp, and Jason Wood and archive extracts from Time Out and Sight & Sound. Also includes contributions on selected extras by Gary Oldman and never before seen original storyboards from the film
- Newly created English subtitles for the Deaf and partial hearing
- Newly created audio description track