MICHAEL CURTIZ (Mildred Pierce) brings a master skipper’s hand to the helm of this thriller, Hollywood’s second crack at Ernest Hemingway’s To Have and Have Not.
JOHN GARFIELD (The Postman Always Rings Twice) stars as Harry Morgan, an honest charter-boat captain who, facing hard times, takes on dangerous cargo to save his boat, support his family, and preserve his dignity. Left in the lurch by a freeloading passenger, Harry starts to entertain the criminal propositions of a sleazy lawyer (Harvey’s WALLACE FORD), as well as the playful comeons of a cheeky blonde (A Face in the Crowd’s PATRICIA NEAL), making a series of compromises that stretch his morality—and his marriage—farther than he’ll admit. Hewing closer to Hemingway’s novel than Howard Hawks’s Bogart-Bacall vehicle, The Breaking Point charts a course through daylight noir and workingclass tragedy, guided by Curtiz’s effortless visual fluency and a stoic, career capping performance from Garfield.
SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
• New 2K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
• New interview with biographer and film historian Alan K. Rode (Michael Curtiz: A Life in Film)
• New piece featuring actor and acting instructor Julie Garfield speaking about her father, actor John Garfield
• New video essay by filmmakers Tony Zhou and Taylor Ramos, analysing Curtiz’s directorial techniques
• Excerpts from a 1962 episode of the Today show showing contents of the Ernest Hemingway House in Key West, Florida, including items related to To Have and Have Not, the novel on which The Breaking Point is based
• PLUS: An essay by critic Stephanie Zacharek
- Region Code:
- Region B
- Language(s): English, Interactive Menu